What Causes Excessive Sweating and how is it Treated?
The facts about hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating
When you're running, when you're gardening, when you're just outside enjoying a sunny day--it’s normal to sweat to cool your body. But hyperhidrosis is a medical condition that causes excessive sweating; sweating when your body doesn’t need cooling. One sign of hyperhidrosis is when one or two areas are very sweaty, but the rest of your body is dry. The areas of the body most affected are the head, underarms, feet, or palms of the hands. Now there are professional treatments available from a Dayton, OH, Englewood, OH, and West Chester, OH cosmetic dermatologist to help treat it.
There are lifestyle changes you can make to cope with hyperhidrosis. To lessen the impact hyperhidrosis has on your life you can try:
- Using antiperspirant, not deodorant
- Wearing black or white clothing to minimize the signs of sweating
- Using armpit shields to absorb sweat
- Wearing loose clothing of natural fibers like cotton, not nylon
- Changing socks at least twice a day
- Avoiding spicy foods and alcohol because they can make sweating worse
If you have tried lifestyle changes and are still plagued with uncomfortable excessive sweating, your Dayton, OH, Englewood, OH, and West Chester, OH cosmetic dermatologist can discuss professional treatments for hyperhidrosis with you. In addition to prescription antiperspirant products containing aluminum chloride, helpful treatments include:
- Iontophoresis-passing a weak electric current through water or a wet cloth; iontophoresis works by blocking the sweat glands. Each non-painful treatment lasts 20 to 30 minutes and you will need 2 to 4 sessions per week, with maintenance treatments every 1 to 4 weeks. There are also iontophoresis take home kits available.
- Botox injections-to help reduce sweating caused by hyperhidrosis, botulinum toxin injections are given into affected areas. This treatment usually requires 15 to 20 injections and takes 30 to 45 minutes. Botox effects can last for a few months and the treatment can be repeated if needed.
Hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating can be annoying, can interfere with your life, and can cause infections in your skin. If you are ready to get help for hyperhidrosis and to get sweating under control, call The Advanced Laser & Cosmetic Center in Englewood, OH, West Chester, OH, & Dayton, OH cosmetic dermatologist and expert in hyperhidrosis treatment. Call today and feel better!